The Democratic Republic of Congo’s latest Ebola outbreak has surpassed 5,000 confirmed cases. More than 2,300 deaths have been recorded as health authorities struggle to contain the disease.
According to The Punch, data released by the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention on Wednesday showed that 5,021 confirmed cases and 2,378 deaths have now been recorded. This has become the country’s worst Ebola outbreak.
The outbreak, DR Congo’s 17th, was officially declared on May 15. However, health officials believe the virus had already been spreading for several weeks before it was detected.
Outbreak becomes DR Congo’s deadliest
The latest death toll has surpassed that of the 2018 to 2020 Ebola outbreak. That outbreak was previously considered the deadliest in the country’s history.
That outbreak killed 2,299 people from 3,381 confirmed cases, according to World Health Organisation figures.
The current epidemic has particularly affected northern and eastern regions of DR Congo. Years of armed conflict have weakened state institutions and healthcare infrastructure there.
Some affected communities are also located in areas where armed groups operate. This creates additional difficulties for health workers attempting to identify cases, trace contacts and provide medical care.
WHO warns outbreak not under control
WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus warned on Tuesday that the situation remained serious.
“The epidemic is far from being under control,” Tedros said.
He added that the risk of the disease spreading further within DR Congo and across international borders remained high.
Africa CDC has also raised concerns over resistance from some communities, including the refusal of residents to undergo testing.
“Difficulties persist, including refusals of testing and resistance in some communities, which hinders surveillance and control activities,” the agency said.
Health response faces major challenges
The current outbreak involves the Bundibugyo strain of the Ebola virus. There is no approved vaccine or specific treatment for this strain.
Clinical trials are ongoing as health authorities seek additional tools to contain infections and improve survival rates.
WHO said efforts were being intensified to reach affected communities and strengthen the response.
The European Union has also announced that it will provide testing kits worth €2.5 million. This is to support efforts to contain the outbreak.
Ebola has killed more than 15,000 people across Africa over the past five decades. DR Congo has repeatedly experienced outbreaks of the deadly viral disease.
