Connect with us


How eight businessmen travelling in bus were killed by three policemen, man tells panel


Mr Sulaiman Badmus, a petitioner before the Osun Judicial Panel of Inquiry on Police Brutality, Human Rights Violations and Related Extra-Judicial Killings, on Saturday, narrated how three policemen gruesomely murdered eight travellers because of money.

Badmus said that the incident occurred at the Obeira police checkpoint, Okene area of Kogi State, Vanguard reports.

He further added that they were ten occupants in the vehicle, eight were killed while he and one Muideen Mustapha, a co-petitioner escaped.

In his words,

“On that fateful day, I chartered a bus from Osogbo to Benue, but the driver took another eight passengers along the way who were going to Katsina State to buy rams because it was during Salah festival.

But when we got to Obeira, Okene axis of Kogi State, we met three fully-armed policemen on our way. The driver stopped and they accosted us, but when the officers saw huge amount of money in our possession to purchase rams, they started misbehaving and asked us to follow them.

“We were deceived by the erring police operatives because they told us we were going to a station, not knowing they were taking us to the forest. They tied our hands and one of the passengers that attempted to escape was gunned down immediately.

“They poured petrol on us with an intention to set us ablaze. But when they ran after one of us that attempted to run, it was in that instance that I struggled to escape with one other passenger. Unfortunately, the remaining passengers were burnt to death, including the driver.

“When the matter was reported in the news and the police started the investigation, then I showed up to follow up the matter and gave evidence. I assisted the police to arrest the three officers and they were charged to court.

“The three policemen were Benjamin Oyekhire; Jimoh Michael and Gershon Soba. The case was taken to Lokoja High Court where they were sentenced to death by hanging.

“Although I didn’t follow up the matter, I later learned that the officers went to the Court of Appeal and Supreme courts where the lower court judgment was upheld.

“I can’t say if the three condemned officers were eventually sentenced as ordered by the hierarchy of the Courts.

However, I was not too satisfied with the judgment because killing them was not enough justice. None of the victims was compensated since the incident occurred twenty years ago. That is why I approached the panel for due compensation”, he added.

MORE READING!  US court to sentence Hushpuppi October

Corroborating the testimony, Muideen, the owner of the burnt Toyota Liteace with registration No Osun XB 104 SGB and a younger brother of the deceased driver, Mr Dauda Ajani, told the panel the number of times they travelled down to Kogi State because of the case to give credence to the evidence tendered before the panel.

MORE READING!  Kyari extradition: We are watching to see if Buhari will follow due process - Moghalu

The counsel for the petitioners, Barrister J.O. Babalola, prayed the court to award his clients a total sum of  N125 million as compensation to cushion the negative effect of all they had suffered from the incident.

According to him, N100million was requested as compensation for the family of the late Rafiu Ajani, the driver of the bus that was burnt, saying the deceased was the sole breadwinner of his family and was survived by dependants which include aged mother, three wives and five children.

MORE READING!  Police repel attack, kill two bandits in Imo

He further appealed to the panel to award the second petitioner, Mr Sulaimon Badmus, who escaped from the police a total sum of N20million as compensation for losing all his capital aimed to purchase rams, just as he also urged the panel to award a sum of N5million to one Mr Mustapha Muideen, the owner of the bus that was burnt.

Ruling in the case, the Chairman of the Panel, Justice Akin Oladimeji (rtd), asked the petitioners’ counsel to prepare his final address for adoption and adjourned the case to March 5, 2021.