Boat with 30 decomposing bodies found off Senegal coast

2 Min Read

At least 30 decomposing bodies were discovered on a drifting boat off the coast of Senegal, according to military authorities.

The boat was found about 70 kilometers (45 miles) from the capital, Dakar, and brought to shore by the navy on Monday morning. The wooden canoe, known locally as a pirogue, is believed to have been carrying migrants attempting the dangerous journey across the Atlantic Ocean to Spain’s Canary Islands.

Authorities said the recovery and identification of the bodies are complicated due to their advanced state of decomposition, indicating that the boat had been adrift for many days. Investigations are underway to determine where the boat originated and how many people were on board.

This incident comes amid a surge in migrant attempts to reach Europe from Senegal. Desperation, driven by unemployment, poverty, and the decline of the local fishing industry, has led many to risk the perilous journey.

“We must avoid this type of journey. It is a kind of suicide,” said Mandiaye Diène, a boat owner from Dakar. Fishermen in the region frequently encounter bodies or abandoned boats at sea. Another fisherman, Bassirou Mbengue, expressed sympathy for the migrants, saying, “It’s dangerous to travel by sea to Europe… But you can’t blame those who go. There are no fish left on our coasts, and fishing equipment is expensive.”

In recent weeks, Senegalese authorities have intercepted hundreds of migrants attempting to leave by sea. Despite the dangers, many young men from West Africa continue to seek a better life in Europe, using the Canary Islands route as it offers a single, though risky, journey across the Atlantic.

 

Share This Article
Exit mobile version