On Monday, news broke about a young man who committed suicide in Aboru area of Lagos State.
The man, simply identified as Tunde was discovered by neighbours on Sunday in an uncompleted building where her hanged himself.
Some reports have it that the Okada rider killed himself over a misunderstanding with his wife, while others believe he killed himself over the economic situation of the country.
It was gathered that Tunde’s wife quarreled with him over his inability to provide the basic necessities for the family, including house rent.
Neighbours who gathered to sympathise also took photos and shared on social media.
To prevent further occurrence mental health support website helpguide.com reccommends these things to do and avoid:
- Talk with someone every day, preferably face to face. Though you feel like withdrawing, ask trusted friends and acquaintances to spend time with you. Or continue to call a crisis helpline and talk about your feelings.
- Make a safety plan. Develop a set of steps that you can follow during a suicidal crisis. It should include contact numbers for your doctor or therapist, as well as friends and family members who will help in an emergency.
- Make a written schedule for yourself every day and stick to it, no matter what. Keep a regular routine as much as possible, even when your feelings seem out of control.
- Get out in the sun or into nature for at least 30 minutes a day.
- Exercise as vigorously as is safe for you. To get the most benefit, aim for 30 minutes of exercise per day. But you can start small. Three 10-minute bursts of activity can have a positive effect on mood.
- Make time for things that bring you joy. Even if very few things bring you pleasure at the moment, force yourself to do the things you used to enjoy.
- Remember your personal goals. You may have always wanted to travel to a particular place, read a specific book, own a pet, move to another place, learn a new hobby, volunteer, go back to school, or start a family. Write your personal goals down.
Things to avoid include:
- Being alone. Solitude can make suicidal thoughts even worse. Visit a friend, or family member, or pick up the phone and call a crisis helpline.
- Alcohol and drugs. Drugs and alcohol can increase depression, hamper your problem-solving ability, and can make you act impulsively.
- Doing things that make you feel worse. Listening to sad music, looking at certain photographs, reading old letters, or visiting a loved one’s grave can all increase negative feelings.
- Thinking about suicide and other negative thoughts. Try not to become preoccupied with suicidal thoughts as this can make them even stronger. Don’t think and rethink negative thoughts. Find a distraction. Giving yourself a break from suicidal thoughts can help, even if it’s for a short time.
Man Utd will re-access Greenwood case – Jim Ratcliffe
Tinubu appoints Nandap new NIS comptroller-general
Bayern to part ways with Tuchel at the end of season
Man Utd legend Rooney ready to join Guardiola at City
Police arrest LP chair Abure
Bank of England to introduce new King Charles banknotes June
Niger workers begin indefinite strike today
EFCC arrests pilot over N1B fraud
14 Nigerian pastors involved in sex scandals
Drake’s nude video surfaces on social media
Ondo varsity student stabbed to death by suspected cultists
Aiyedatiwa nominates Olayide Owolabi Adelami as deputy gov
VIDEO: Nigerian dad who loses daughter to suicide blames UK boyfriend
Speaker Abass swears in 12 new reps members
Edo 2024: APC gov aspirant Idahosa knocks Obaseki over state’s debt
Rivers APC chieftain slams Tony Okocha over leadership claims
VIDEO: Thugs invade Osun APC secretariat
VIDEO: Strayed cow goes berserk inside NYSC orientation camp in Ogun
VIDEO: Are black cats bad luck?
VIDEO: Does COVID-19 only affect rich people?
VIDEO: Will I remain single if someone sweeps over my feet with a broom?
VIDEO: Gani Adams rallies Benin Republic monarchs for Sunday Igboho
FIDIO: Ǹjẹ́ Gbogbo Akitiyan Ìjọba Láti Mú Ẹ̀yìn Olóyè Sunday Ìgbòho Balẹ̀ Yìí Tọ́ Àbí Kò Tọ́?
VIDEO: Pastor Tunde Bakare declares National Movement
Entertainment21 hours ago
Odumodublvck to perform alongside Offset, 21 Savage in Germany
Metro20 hours ago
EFCC nabs six in Lagos for selling new Naira notes
Sports22 hours ago
La Liga reduces Barcelona salary cap amidst financial constraints
Sports22 hours ago
Injured Liverpool star Jota out for ‘months’, Klopp confirms
News20 hours ago
Tinubu orders settlement of N342m electricity debt
Politics11 hours ago
APC declares Edo gov primary election inconclusive
Metro10 hours ago
YouTube parenting advice influencer jailed for child abuse
News10 hours ago
Suppliers urge FG to regulate fuel price