Ukraine’s ex-minister seeks wartime elections in challenge to Zelensky

Christian George
5 Min Read

Ukraine’s former defence minister, Mykhailo Fedorov, has called for elections to be held during the ongoing war with Russia, putting him at odds with President Volodymyr Zelensky over the country’s political future.

Fedorov, 35, whose removal as defence minister in July sparked protests across Ukraine, made the appeal in a video address posted on YouTube.

“Democracy cannot be held hostage by Russia. We must find a legal, safe and realistic mechanism that will allow Ukraine to renew its full democratic process even in the conditions of a long war,” he said.

Zelensky has repeatedly rejected the idea of holding elections while the war continues, arguing that voting should take place only after a ceasefire with Russia and once Ukraine has “necessary security guarantees” in place.

In his latest remarks, Fedorov directly criticised the current administration, saying Ukraine was experiencing a “systemic crisis of governance”.

“The old system lives by its own rules too often. It protects itself. It is scared of change,” he said.

Fedorov’s statement came only hours after Zelensky announced that he had asked parliament on Wednesday to approve Yevhenii Khmara as the country’s new defence minister.

Although Fedorov did not say whether he would seek office in a future election, a recent opinion poll suggested that he could defeat Zelensky in a direct contest.

“Our people have long been ready for a different country,” Fedorov said in his address. “Now, our state must become worthy of its people.”

The former minister also criticised corruption within the government, arguing that it had undermined Ukraine’s ability to prosecute the war effectively.

Fedorov had previously been viewed as a close ally of Zelensky before his unexpected dismissal in July. He had held the defence portfolio for only six months and had promised broad reforms within the ministry.

Following his removal, Fedorov publicly criticised General Oleksandr Syrskyi, the commander-in-chief of Ukraine’s armed forces, revealing deep disagreements over how the war should be conducted.

Thousands of Ukrainians subsequently demonstrated in support of Fedorov and called for Syrskyi to be removed. Critics accused the military commander of being responsible for significant troop losses on the front lines while also demanding Fedorov’s return to office.

Zelensky said Fedorov’s dismissal was linked to his inability to work effectively with Syrskyi. The president later removed the military chief as well, amid growing public pressure.

Fedorov has since claimed that his efforts to overhaul the defence ministry’s procurement system may have contributed to his dismissal. The system oversees the purchase of billions of dollars worth of military equipment.

Demonstrations backing Fedorov have continued for about a month. Although the protests have lost some of the momentum seen in their early stages, gatherings in Kyiv have still attracted several thousand people on a regular basis.

Zelensky’s office has not yet issued a response to Fedorov’s latest address.

Fedorov entered Ukraine’s government at the age of 28, becoming the country’s youngest-ever minister when he was appointed to lead its digitalisation efforts. He remained in the role for six years.

He was also the final surviving member of Zelensky’s first cabinet, which was formed in 2019.

During his tenure overseeing Ukraine’s digital transformation, Fedorov became an early advocate of using drones in warfare. The technology later played a major role in reshaping combat after Russia launched its full-scale invasion of Ukraine in 2022.

His national profile increased further after he was appointed defence minister in January, when he immediately promised to modernise the ministry through greater use of data and technology.

Unlike several of his predecessors, Fedorov openly presented a military strategy centred on defeating Russia through sustained attrition and technological superiority.

Share This Article