Maha Christopher
The Headquarters, Theatre Command, Joint Task Force North East, Operation HADIN KAI, has dismissed claims that soldiers under the operation are being owed allowances, describing the allegations as false and misleading.
According to The Punch, the Army reacted to a viral video circulating on social media which alleged non payment of troops’ allowances and intimidation of a soldier.
In a statement issued on Sunday and signed by the Media Information Officer, Lieutenant Colonel Sani Uba, the command said all legitimate allowances due to troops had been fully paid up to May 2026.
“The Theatre Command categorically states that the claims contained in the video are false, misleading, and a deliberate attempt to misinform the public and discredit the military command structure,” the statement said.
The Army stressed that personnel welfare remains a major priority and insisted there were no outstanding arrears owed to soldiers involved in Operation HADIN KAI.
“It is important to emphasize that all legitimate allowances due to troops under Operation HADIN KAI have been paid up to date as of May 2026, with no outstanding issues,” the statement added.
The command explained that the allowances covered include Ration Cash Allowance, Operational Allowance and Habit Allowance, which are either paid directly to personnel or disbursed through unit structures.
According to the Army, the controversy stemmed from an additional incentive meant for troops deployed to protect a critical national asset in Tuba.
The statement noted that the incentive is different from regular military allowances and depends on the availability of funding.
The Army further explained that the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation initially handled the payments before withdrawing operations from the area, after which the responsibility was transferred to the Borno State Government alongside arrangements for other security agencies.
