Canada shuts TikTok offices amid security fears

Juliet Anine
2 Min Read

Canada has ordered TikTok to shut down its Canadian business but will not block access to the app.

This decision, announced on Wednesday, follows a national security review of ByteDance, the Chinese company that owns TikTok.

Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne explained that while Canadians will still have access to TikTok, the government decided to end TikTok’s Canadian operations to address security concerns. “The government is not blocking Canadians’ access to the TikTok application or their ability to create content. The decision to use a social media application or platform is a personal choice,” said Champagne, who encouraged Canadians to be careful with their cybersecurity.

The order was issued under the Investment Canada Act, allowing Canada to review foreign investments that may threaten national security. The decision was based on advice from Canada’s security agencies and other government partners.

TikTok responded by saying the shutdown would result in job losses for hundreds of Canadian employees. “We will challenge this order in court,” a TikTok spokesperson said, adding, “The TikTok platform will remain available for creators to find an audience, explore new interests, and for businesses to thrive.”

TikTok has faced criticism globally over fears it could share user data with the Chinese government. Michael Geist, an Internet law expert from the University of Ottawa, questioned the move. He argued that “banning the company rather than the app may actually make matters worse,” since TikTok would no longer have a Canadian office that could be held accountable.

The order to close TikTok’s Canadian operations is Canada’s latest step in addressing concerns about the app’s data privacy and security risks. TikTok was previously banned on government-issued devices in Canada.

Share This Article