Reps probe abandoned ₦11bn Numan-Jalingo road project

Juliet Anine
2 Min Read

The House of Representatives has directed its Committee on Works to investigate the abandoned ₦11 billion Numan-Jalingo Road project.

This contract was awarded in 2017, but little progress has been made.

Hon. Sadiq Abbass Tafida, representing Jalingo, Yorro, and Zing Federal Constituency, raised the issue during a plenary session on Wednesday. He reminded the House that the Numan-Jalingo Road is a major federal road connecting the North to the East of Nigeria.

“In 2017, the construction of the road was awarded to DEUX Project Nig. Ltd for ₦11 billion with a completion timeline of 20 months,” Tafida said. “But no progress has been made at the site in seven years.”

He also mentioned that during a site visit, the former Minister of State for Works and Housing, Hon. Mu’azu Sambo, said the government had allocated ₦3 billion to continue the project. However, progress has been very slow for over 30 months, with COVID-19 being blamed for the delay.

The contractor, DEUX Project Nig. Ltd, claimed that ₦1.5 billion had been disbursed, but also cited security challenges as a reason for the lack of progress.

Tafida expressed concern that the road’s poor condition has made it a hub for criminals like bandits, armed robbers, and kidnappers. He urged the government to address the conflicting reasons and ensure that the contractor has the capacity to complete the project.

Share This Article