The Nigerian police force has identified the officers who allegedly extorted N3 million at gunpoint from a Nigerian man, Kelechi Isaac, in Bayelsa State, Nigeria.
The incident took place on August 26, 2024, at the Odi Axis of Bayelsa State.
The Force spokesperson, Muyiwa Adejobi, shared the update on his X (formerly Twitter) account, stating, “The act is unacceptable and condemned. I personally engaged the commissioner of police, and we are on it. Justice will be served.”
Mr. Isaac, who is based in Ghana but hails from Nguru Nworie, Aboh Mbaise Local Government Area of Imo State, Nigeria, explained that five police operatives stopped his vehicle while he was returning from a marriage ceremony with two friends. He said the officers forced him at gunpoint to transfer N3 million into two separate bank accounts.
Assistant Commissioner of Police Muyiwa Adejobi confirmed that the officers involved had been identified and that both the authorities at the Police Force Headquarters and the Bayelsa State Commissioner of Police, Francis Idu, are investigating the matter. He stated, “We will continue to act on it tomorrow, Monday (today), for further investigation.”
However, Mr. Adejobi did not disclose the identities of the officers or specify if they had been arrested.
The police spokesperson in Bayelsa State, Musa Mohammed, also confirmed that the operatives had been traced. He said, “For us in the Police Command, we have been able to trace the operatives. And those operatives are from Zone 16 Police Headquarters, not the State Police Command.”
Zone 16 Headquarters is responsible for Bayelsa and Rivers states in south-south Nigeria. Mr. Mohammed could not confirm whether the identified operatives had been arrested, directing inquiries to Gunn Ewhoborwo, the spokesperson for Zone 16 Police Headquarters. However, attempts to reach Mr. Ewhoborwo for comments were unsuccessful as calls to his phone line did not connect.
The investigation continues, and the police assure the public that justice will be served.
