A 39-year-old man has lost his life after being attacked by a shark in Far North Queensland, Australia on Sunday.
Emergency crews were called to the Hull River Heads boat ramp near Tully Heads, roughly 120km south of Cairns, shortly after midday local time, where the injured man was transported by boat following the incident at Kennedy Shoal.
Despite efforts by paramedics waiting at the ramp, the man succumbed to his injuries a short time later.
Police confirmed the victim had been attacked while in the water at Kennedy Shoal.
“The man was retrieved from the water and died from his injuries.”
Earlier, the Queensland Ambulance Service said paramedics were responding to reports of a serious shark attack.
“One male patient in his 30s is being assessed in a life-threatening condition at the Hull River Heads Boat Ramp following a reported shark attack at 12.03pm,” it said in an earlier statement.
The tragedy comes only a week after another fatal shark attack claimed the life of 38-year-old father-of-two Steven “Mattas” Mattaboni near Rottnest Island off the coast of Western Australia.
Mattaboni had been in the water with friends on May 16 when a great white shark reportedly bit him on the leg.
His companions, who witnessed the attack, were later seen consoling one another after recovering his body from the water and attempting CPR.
In an emotional tribute, Mattaboni’s wife, Shirene Mattaboni, remembered her husband as “fiercely loyal, endlessly generous, and the kind of man who would give you the shirt off his back”.
“Our hearts are irrevocably broken by the loss of Steven, known affectionately to his mates as ‘Mattas’,” she told the West Australian.
“The world has lost a truly one-of-a-kind gentleman, and our daughters have lost an incredible father far too soon.”

